NYC Organics Collection Outreach Associate
The NYC Organics Collection Outreach Associate is primarily responsible for providing NYC residents that live in the organics collection areas with information about the NYC Organics Collection Program. The Outreach Associate will focus in all 5 boroughs to build enthusiasm about the program so as to increase resident participation and lower contamination rates. Outreach Associates will staff information tables in the various neighborhoods so as to educate residents about the program and coordinate with partner organizations to attend events. Additionally, Outreach Associates will work alongside bin delivery trucks to speak with residents and answer any questions about the program while the organics bins are being delivered.
Candidates need to be able to track the necessary programmatic information and submit to the Organics Outreach Coordinator as requested.
- Outreach Associate staff will work 40 hours/week to expand public participation and awareness in curbside organics collection. Position would run until the end of June 2019 with a possibility of extending beyond that.
- Work weeks vary but are typically Mon-Fri 8am-4pm or 9am-5pm. Flexibility to work evenings and weekends as needed.
- Explain how to participate in organics collection and set-up and maintain the kitchen collector and outdoor bin.
- Answer questions from residents and general public during bin deliveries and at general outreach events using appropriate talking points.
- Engage in canvassing outreach
- Take notes if residents or the general public needs follow up on an issue, and communicate concerns to the Organics Outreach Coordinator accordingly.
- Offer print materials to residents in the delivery areas.
- Provide outreach to local convenience stores and hardware stores to carry proper compostable bags.
- Ideal candidates will be interested in public outreach and enthusiastic about composting, food scrap and yard waste recycling.
- Outgoing public speaker, ease with interfacing with the public. Comfortable in a wide range of environments.
- Valid NYS driver’s license and is willing to drive, using Zip cars and/or rental cars, as needed in NYC.
- Chinese, Spanish, Korean, Russian or other language fluency an asset.
- Experience with a wide range of computer applications (Excel, MS Word, Outlook, +)
- Able to work effectively both in teams and independently.
- Knowledge of NYC and familiarity with its neighborhoods.
- Minimum two years of related work experience.
- Preferred: Bachelor’s Degree (Preferably in Environmental or Horticultural Science or another related field)
- Preferred: access to cell phone and/or smart phone while in field
PTO, Health Insurance, Salary- $40,000-$44,000
LEVEL OF LANGUAGE PROFICIENCY
MINIMUM EDUCATION REQUIRED
HOW TO APPLY
- Send resume, cover letter and references to: firstname.lastname@example.org with “Outreach Associate” followed by your first and last name in the subject line of the email.
- No phone calls please.